Sunday, December 2, 2012

Plucky Cranberry Bog

Plucky Bog Set Up
There are dozens of cranberry bogs in the Marshfield and Duxbury area.  I try to be vigilant in watching for flooded bogs because I know that immediately following the flood, the cranberry thrashing and crimson harvest will occur.   I wish I knew the local bog harvest schedule because these bogs are tucked into various backroads that aren't visible from my regular routes.  


Plucky Bog First Painting Stage One
When I haven't been able to find a flooded bog, there are always the non-flooded bogs - the scene chosen on this day.

Plucky Bog First Painting Stage Two
The "Plucky" cranberry bog is located on East Street in Duxbury and it runs alongside Route 3.   Aside from the constant whiz of highway traffic, the spot was perfect for painting a typical Southeastern New England cranberry bog scene.     It was not flooded, but rather it was moist, peat-rich, and dark magenta color. 

The color shown in the Stage One painting depicts a magenta shade that was too light and too intensely purple.  The morning sun was to the east and it was casting light on the far grassy bank.   There was a pumphouse on the other end used for feeding the water channels that surrounded and cut through the bogs.


I started a second round of changes lightening the sky and adding the jet contrails.  I also changed the color of the bog, making it much redder.   It was still not right. Although colorful, I though it was too red, so I put it aside.  I need to come back to this one.



Plucky Bog Second Painting Stage One
I grabbed another canvas and turned toward the south.  

Really accomplished artists would never begin another painting for the reason I did at this point.  The reason was that I had a lot of paint on my palette and I didn't want to waste it!   

Plucky Bog Second Painting Stage Two

Quick studies with leftover paint mixtures can be pleasant surprises and this was one good result I think.  



The painting that got the least amount of time turned out the best.   I think it is true that warming up can be a valid exercise for painting as it is for anything else.  It can help a painter get into a groove, work out some flaws and can result in a fresher more spontaneous result.   






No comments: