Friday, May 24, 2013

Border Street Bridge Cohasset, MA

I headed north up Route 3A to drop off paintings for an art festival in Cohasset.   I have painted at Cohasset Harbor before and I quickly remembered how wonderfully scenic this area is.   Instead of parking near the Atlantica Restaurant as I have before, I went a little further and crossed a small bridge, then took my first left into the Harbormaster's station.    There were parking spots along a grassy area below the bridge on the banks of the ocean outlet for this small waterway.



Border Street Bridge Stage One
Here is a photograph of the plaque which is on one of the bridge buttresses.  The bridge was built in 1924 and lists the Board of Selectmen, the Engineers and Architects.   I searched for information about the bridge, but most of the links pertained to its popularity as a place local youths liked to jump into the water, and the authorities' desire to deter it.


Border Street Bridge Stage Two
I liked the long graceful arch of the bridge and the fact that I was low enough to be able to look under it and see the shoreline further inland.   There were even some whitewater rapids next to me and I was thinking - yes - this would make a very nice postcard!     I began roughing in the sky and Spring green of the trees.  



The right embankment was illuminated by the sun and seemed to have every warm shade of yellow and red.   Although there was a lot of water movement, the right side embankment was calmer and had nice reflections.
Border Street Bridge Stage Three

This one is close to being complete.  There are three issues I want to address before finalizing.

1) The waterfalls at the bottom are painted to the real scale, but I'm thinking the they start too low in the painting.   I do like how they echo the patterns in the clouds.

2)  Verifying the darks; they seem too dark.    Logically, the watery reflections would be throwing more light up under the bridge than I have depicted.

3)  Adding one or more bicyclists crossing the bridge, since there was a steady stream while I was painting.

 I welcome any other feedback.   My plan is to return to this location with the painting and finish it off " en plein air.

 VIEW FINISHED PAINTING




No comments: