Friday, May 10, 2013

Flower Shower

Flower Shower - Stage One
I returned to the Lambert's Flower Stand in Pembroke today.   I really enjoyed my first paint-out at this location and brought another 12x16 inch canvas that would complement the first painting.  I wanted to paint a scene that was not a "same-size" composition, which is what I typically do plein air style.   It was really through the use of my camera viewfinder that I framed the scene for this painting.    A worker in jeans and a white tee shirt started showering the flowers along the first row walking toward me, dragging the hose behind.  It made an interesting composition having the figure as the focal point, and I liked the geometric aspects of the background.  The black square on the left is a chain link fence; the white rectangle is the open door of the shed; the black rectangle on the right is the entrance to the shed.   By contrast, the flowers and figure are all curves and soft edges. 

Flower Shower Stage Two (Last?)
The question I am asking myself on this painting is:  if the figure is the center of interest, should I be dulling down the intensity of the flowers so that they do not steal the show?  I love the buttery outta'
the-tube type color that I used for the blooms.   Can the sizable human figure stand up (figuratively) to the waves of bright color?   Are they complementary or competing?


No comments: