Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Shady Porch Next To Audubon

It was early on day four of a July heat wave when we got our paint-out started, mainly trying to avoid the sizzling midday sun.   

It was already 82 degrees at 9am.  Maybe it was the heat getting to me but I felt uninspired as I looked around the Daniel Webster Audubon in Green Harbor.   There was plenty of nice scenery, much of which I have painted before.   Nothing was jumping out at me which is unusual.

Underpainting
There was plenty of green.   I had brought along a large canvas that had been underpainted with a colorful textured abstract.  I knew one thing;  I was going to guarantee myself shade for the entire duration of painting session.   Two large maple trees stood by the two picnic tables and I picked the one closer to the small private residence that abuts the preserve.    A border of flowers with bright orange tiger lilies ran along the road in front of the house with a small front porch.   The morning sun was behind the house and the porch area was shaded which created a dark backdrop making the lilies look even brighter by contrast.

Bright Flower Border - Stage One

I had a brand new, ding-free palette knife so I began mixing up some piles of color with it



Bright Flower Border - Stage Two
.   Instead of switching to brushes, I spread the color on with the knife to start.   With brushes I tend to paint thinly, building up layers gradually.   With the knife, I go thick right from the start giving the painting a whole different feel.     It's a lot of fun to paint this way and the result is thick and colorful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love this painting -the colors are fantastic!!!

-Rich

Maureen Vezina Art Blog said...

Thank you Rich! The reds were undiluted...right out of the tube.

Anonymous said...

You nailed it!

-Rich