Sunday, November 17, 2013

Freezing Ocean Overlook

Brant Rock Overlook - Stage One


What was that I was saying in a recent post about not feeling cold and dressing properly for the weather?    I was dressed in my long down coat and had thermals on, but the wind was the problem in making this paint-out a frigid experience.   I positioned my easel so that the car blocked the wind, but either the wind shifted or the temperatures dropped, because I slowly got colder and colder, especially my painting hand





Brant Rock Overlook - Stage Two
I like this one because of the color of the ocean....cold winter blue...again the graying down of the blue with transparent brown oxide and titanium buff.   The sun was to the right of the painting and the water was lighter toward that direction.  You may notice the gradation from dark ocean blue on the left, to lighter ocean blue on the right.

Brant Rock Overlook - Stage Three
The larger waves were fairly uniform as they approached the rocky shoals at Brant Rock near the Fairview Inn.   I was standing about fifty feet above the water looking down past the boulder retaining wall down to the natural rocks and sand.   The tide was receding so at the start only the tops of the largest rocks were visible in the water.   By the time I packed up, the entire area below was a rocky field of brown and black.  I did stick with the rock formations visible at the outset.

I used my palette knife to apply thick swirls of foam at the shore and on the breakers further out.   I will think "cold" whenever I see this one.

Below is a short clip of where I was.






No comments: