Friday, November 29, 2013

Green Harbor Seawall View

Setting Up at the Beach Opening at Horseshoe
There is a horseshoe shaped road at the end of Bay Avenue in Green Harbor.  At the curved end of the horseshoe there is a wooden archway leading through the dunes to a beach opening.  On this cold but sunny November day, I walked to the opening dragging my gear through the path to an area where there is a gap in the seawall.

Sunny Day Breakers - Green Harbor
I set up facing north with the start of the Green Harbor section of seawall on my left.   The row of beach houses were stacked one after another along the seawall and in shadow along the left.  The beach eventually curved out to the east about a half mile down at Burke's Beach. The Brant Rock beach houses that were along the channel had direct sunlight, and even in the distance, were bright.   The brightest and whitest elements of all however, were the large foamy breakers.  The surf was up, probably about four feet high and as the tide got higher, they started hitting the seawall and shooting up.  In contrast with the deep North Atlantic blue, the waves were vivid white before pummeling the sand.   What an exhilarating paint-out!   I swear it has to do with the negative ions propelled all around by the crashing waves.

As for the rest, I did my best to match the various colors in the pile of rocks in the immediate foreground.  I did not work on painting individual rocks.   I saw gold, blue, buff, green and peach.  If you paint, you probably know that recording every minute detail of things like rocks gives the painting a tight, tedious feeling.   Better to slap on strokes of just the right colors and let the tedious area somewhat disappear when compared to the crashing surf.   I did paint a select a handful of the larger smooth stones in the foreground and gave them some extra form and shadow.

Do you like the videos?   I don't want to be repetitious, but I have been taking more videos lately -
since my trip to Ireland actually.   This one is less than 10 seconds; hopefully load time is not too much.


No comments: