Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Jetty from Beach

Late Autumn at the Beach
I did break out my long down coat for today's paint-out.     If I had been walking, I wouldn't have needed it because the temperatures were in the low forties, but I've learned that being stationary while painting can feel chilly, especially with a brisk wind off the water.    I hardly ever stay inside because it's cold, I just dress for it, and these pictures are proof it was worth it!

Only a handful of people were present on Burke's Beach enjoying the dazzling November sunshine.
Matching Winter Ocean Blue


I looked at the water and I saw brilliant blue.   I mixed up a beautiful brilliant blue that I thought would be close in color.   Wrong!   I have used the wrong color so many times in the past that I know that the best way to check it is to scrape up the mixture and hold it up in full light to the subject being matched.   It is amazing how gray the water was, far from the intensity of blue out of the tube.   I used some transparent oxide brown and titanium buff to bring the intense blue down and the value up.

Jetty from Beach Stage Two



Speaking of Titanium Buff, have I mentioned that I love this color for the beach?   It looks beautiful when wisps of other colors are swirled into it.   I used it for the sunlit planes of the rocks as well.

The low angle of the winter sun caused a white-out on the ocean horizon.   I mixed titanium white with a tinge of cad red light.


As I started to wrap up, I inserted the Emily Rose Lobster boat as it entered the mouth of the river.

Finally, check out this 360 degree view of the gorgeous spot where I was standing, none other than stunning Green Harbor, Massachusetts.






2 comments:

Nancy Loh said...

Lovely scene, your painting captures it all.

Maureen Vezina Art Blog said...

Thank you Nancy! A little chilly but well worth it!