Thursday, December 5, 2013

Cloudy Marina

Cloudy Marina - Stage 1
Cloudy Marina - Stage 2
I checked the weather radar on this cloudy day and decided to trust that the bands of rain were going to pass north of me - and they did.   It was as overcast as it could be without actually raining, and it was damp and cold.   The autumn golds that I painted from the same spot just four weeks ago had been replaced with dark brownish gold and the trees were bare and gray.   I took liberties with both, giving the brown grasses a lively reddish gold and giving the wet bare tree line a nice indigo shade of blue.   No liberties needed for the sky which was bright at the horizon with a subtle lavender marking the underside of the thick cloud bank.

The center of interest in this scene was a blue lobster boat named "Chance Along."   I liked the luminescent glow caused by the bright strip of pinkish light at the horizon and the colors it cast onto the water.   I wish the subtle shades of pink, lavender and creamy yellow showed up better in the the photographs of the painting. Maybe opening in a separate window or better yet, see it in person....next show maybe.

No comments: