Saturday, June 6, 2015

Fort Hunter on the Sasquehanna River


Fort Hunter Mansion
I set out on Day One of the Camp Hill Plein Air Festival with a map, a GPS enabled IPhone and my painting gear loaded into the trunk of my (non-GPS enabled) neon-blue rental car.   One of the Camp Hill Plein Air volunteers (Dianne :)) suggested Fort Hunter on the east side of the Susquehanna River.   I had told her the kinds of things I like when I'm painting (views, water, shade, parking, etc..)  Her recommendation was perfect!   The gardens were pristine and each huge old tree specimen had a botanical tree species marker.


Garden Gate at Fort Hunter Mansion
The Mansion at Fort Hunter is an ornate federal style structure located on the site of the old French and Indian War Fort Hunter.  I walked the perimeter and  learned that it was built in three sections, two sections of which were built with locally quarried stones in 1814.  The middle “cabin” section, built in 1786, and the rear wooden portion was built in 1870.

I wanted a little bit of everything in the scene so I positioned at the east side of the mansion looking down a brick path to the gardens in the back.  The gardening shed and the fence behind it were picking up full light and seemed like they were framed by the elements in shadow.

This was my first time setting up since arriving the night before.   I don't think you can underestimate the impact of logistical challenges when you are attempting to get into a creative groove.  :)   Unfamiliar geography, easel assembly, palette set up, different vehicle....I'm not complaining; it was a blast.   It's just that until the physical issues are resolved, there would be no presentable artworks created!


No comments: