Thursday, February 25, 2016

Iron Maiden from Liberty Wharf - Boston



Iron Maiden from Liberty Wharf - Stage One

Once a person is hooked on plein air, working in the studio just seems to fall short.   Half the allure of plein air is being outside in the fresh air and feasting on the full sensory experience. The absolutely frigid temperatures over the past week had kept me indoors so when temperatures hit the forties on this day I packed up and headed outside!




Iron Maiden from Liberty Wharf - Stage Two
On Northern Ave in Boston, a parking spot was waiting just for me, and it was a freebie to boot - meter was broken.   So far, so good!  This spot was directly across from the Liberty Wharf and it faced the eastern side of Boston's historic fish pier.   Numerous fishing boats were docked along the lengthy pier and they were bathed in winter sunlight.   A blue lobster boat named Iron Maiden was the closest to where I was standing.   Other boats behind her were mostly obscured.    Up next to the building dozens of trucks were tucked in underneath the overhang, presumably getting loaded up with a winter catch. 

Was it warm enough?  Yes, at first.   After an hour and a half I was freezing because of the moist east wind and growing shadows.  In summer we call this a "sea breeze."  I used plenty of thick paint and loosened it up with my new "go-to" medium, Gamblin gel.   The conditions demanded that the paint be put on directly (as one thick layer as opposed to building up multiple coats, or glazing that is common in the studio).   If I'm only painting this boat once, I want it to count, thus it called for a really thick layer of opaque paint.  


Iron Maiden - Boston Fish Pier
Plein air paintings have a very different feel from a studio painting and one I happen to love.   Part of that is the thick paint, but mostly it seems more vibrant and spontaneous than a piece I may have labored over.






No comments: