Friday, July 8, 2016

Maritime School Dock

Maritime School Dock
Photo of Scene
At the Duxbury Bay Maritime School in Duxbury, MA, things were hopping.   It was mid-June and school was out for summer -judging from the number of young people engaging in crew related activities and other boat preparations.    I found a little niche against a dock railing where I was not in anyone's way.   This spot was also behind a small shed only steps from my vehicle that overlooked the boat ramp and dock.   A fine young 18 year old assured me that the spot I had chosen would not impede him or the others as they worked.   It was a fun scene to watch and it became obvious from the chatter that this boating program and many new summer jobs had just started.

Maritime School Dock
As for the scene, it is always a little chancy when it's a beautiful day at a busy dock.  One minute the scene is intact and the next thing you know, the center of interest can be moved or gone.    Luckily, on this day, the pretty blue sailboat docked closest to me was not moved, (that is, with the exception of the tide's vertical drop) even though the skiffs behind it did come and go.

The angular elements and the shadowy contrast of the steel supports of the pier beyond seemed to form a strong composition.   There wasn't a lot of color but I liked the gray, blue and brown scheme.   All of those colors made their way into the water and the dock.

(Note to other painters: on this painting I wore sunglasses the entire time!  I've preached no sunglasses for true color matching, but after last week's marathon plein air competition, my fatigued eyes were feeling extra "light sensitive."     I'm trying to assess objectively if this painting looks too light because of the sunglasses, and I think it seems okay. I would be curious if the painting seems too light to anyone, because if it doesn't, my eyes would be happy to know it.

No comments: