Thursday, January 19, 2017

Light and Shadow Winter Scene

Light and Shadow Winter Scene - Stage One

It was nice to be out in the fresh air, which, by the way was fairly mild for early January. Shadows in winter are long and can offer dramatic contrast in landscapes.   The sun was so low in this scene, despite it being midday, that the trees to the left (south) of me had shadows twice their height.  The bright strip behind the trees is Coast Guard Hill in Marshfield, MA, a popular sledding area.    The only hint of sledding on this school day however, was a couple of broken plastic saucers and hay bails at the base of the some cedars at the bottom.

Makeshift Palette Knife
Before the last cold snap, I cleared out my painting supplies from my painting vehicle.   I didn't want my gear to be exposed to sub-zero temperatures, but alas, I forgot I had done that.  I arrived at this location and discovered I didn't have mineral spirits or a palette knife.   Luckily my Gamblin's gel medium could substitute for the spirits.  In the past, I have used a credit card as a palette knife - not smart though, as the paint tends to clog the numbers.   A business card made a better palette knife substitute.  See photo.



There was a surprising amount of warm orange in the woods on the far side of the sledding hill. The warm color made the gray-blue snow look very pretty.  Nature was showing off and my job was to match the colors.   White snow is anything but white when painting it.  Shadows were blue, lavender and gray; sunlit snow was the palest notes of yellow, pink and green.



Light and Shadow Winter Scene
Additional saplings, branches and vines were carved into the snow, then the darkest darks were restated.   The shadows of the stone wall really set off the snowy blues.


No comments: