Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Six Boats and a House That Floats

Six Boats and a House That Floats - Phase One
Our accomodations in Newport, RI had a rooftop deck that offered spectacular views of Newport Harbor.   It was the first full day and my plan was to paint a harbor scene.  I knew about the roofdeck.  I fought off the urge to be lazy and not lug my painting gear from the carport level - to the elevator - to the fifth floor down the hall - through the fire door - to the last flight of stairs to the roof.     I would be glad I went after this unique vantage;  top down views are among the most dynamic compositions because of the sharp angles.


Six Boats and a House That Float
The drawing itself was challenging.  Sight-sizing wasn't possible because in order to see my scene, I had to lean over the railing and look down, versus having the canvas and scene side-by-side.    I guess that made it more of a memory exercise.    Other than the occasional gusty wind and constant rumble of the ventilation system, it was very pleasant!

No comments: