Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mayflower II on Columbus Day

Mayflower II on Columbus Day Stage 1
Plymouth continues to buzz with tourists now even into the Autumn.    On Columbus Day Monday I decided to paint out before dropping paintings off for the upcoming Plymouth Center for the Arts exhibit.    I've painted the Mayflower II before, but I'm learning that repeating subjects can really produce good results.   In subsequent efforts, the learnings from prior attempts kick in and painting what you know is always a good thing.

Mayflower II on Columbus Day Stage 2
At the start of the paint-out, the entire Mayflower was illuminated equally, specifically both the rear plane and the side planes, but by the time I was finishing up, the sun had moved.   It had shifted sufficiently west that the rear plane was brightly lit, but the side was more in shadow.   This change better defined the boat's shape.   I generally preach "locking in" the scene and not chasing changing elements, like the light.   In this case, the light was better at the end, so I used it instead.  One of the changes I still may make is to subdue the foreground grass.

No comments: