Monday, March 3, 2014

Inspired by H.M. Trevor's The Fisherman's Mother

Inspired by The Fisherman's Wife Stage One
During the course of the last two years while researching my ancestors, I discovered that farming was the predominant occupation of my paternal ancestors - that is - until they emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts.   There, far from their farming roots, they took on a variety of occupations becoming pipefitters, longshoremen and nurses.     Some of my mother's paternal ancestors were from Canada and made their living in occupations related to the sea, mostly fishermen.  

Inspired by The Fisherman's Wife

I was immediately drawn to a painting at the National Gallery in Dublin and I took a photograph of it, which inspired this painting.    The original painting was done by Irish artist Helen Mabel Trevor in 1892.   She was fascinated by the fishing culture of Brittany and particularly the strength of the women whose husbands and sons faced the dangers of sea.   The rosary beads and cane complete the image of an elderly woman who has experienced a lifetime worry, though tempered with piety, and the years are plainly displayed on her face.


No comments: