Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sugarbowl from Ferry


Sugarbowl Stage One
Growing up in South Boston we always referred to the halfway point of the "over water" causeway between Marine Park and Castle Island as the "Sugar Bowl."   The name comes from this landmark's round shape which used to be lined with a benches and a tall framework that resembled an old-fashioned sugar bowl, at least that's the notion I've always had.     The causeway and the Sugar Bowl were built up with boulders in the middle of the water, Boston Harbor on one side and the Pleasure Bay Lagoon on the other.

Today what I still call the "Sugar Bowl" is a modern day, two story gazebo with a pointed peak.    Its taller profile is more easily identified from a distance than the old Sugarbowl.    I spotted it readily from our Boston-to-Hingham ferry as we were exiting the inner harbor, and I took a photo of the scene.   This long view also includes Carson Beach and its bathhouses visible on the most distant shoreline.

Using Right Angle

The white foamy line in the water is the outflow from the locks between the Lagoon and the Harbor.  On a hot summer days the Lagoon would fill up at high tide and if the locks were closed, the high water level would be maintained for resident enjoyment until nightfall when the locks were opened again and the water would empty.   On this evening ferry ride the locks were open and the water was draining out from the Lagoon.


Sugarbowl from Ferry
This was a pinkish day.  I've noticed that on humid, shimmery summer days, the color of the light is really not white, nor yellow, but a bright light that leans toward pink.   Now maybe it's just my eyes, but I have found that if you "sense" a color (like I did with the pink), then apply a pumped up version of that color,  your eyes will quickly confirm or deny whether your canvas matches the scene. 

I added the mid-distance sailboat as balancing element, and I liked the way the mast connected the sky to the foreground, even thought the boat was not in the original photo.  Some of the handiest items to use in painting come from the carpentry toolbox.   This right angle is useful for getting a nice vertical sailboat mast.   I don't consider it cheating just because I didn't do it freehand. :)



No comments: