Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Everson Island from Dyke Road

The Green Harbor River separates Green Harbor from Brant Rock in the southern section of Marshfield.   Dyke Road connects the two sub-villages of Marshfield just beyond the Green Harbor Marina.  If you look upriver, you can see Everson Island in the middle.


Everson Island- Stage One
We drive by this stretch often and it is always a scenic spot, especially at sunset.  The land in the middle of the river is called Everson Island, named after a soldier from Marshfield who served in the Civil War.  According to a memoir I found online, Erastus Everson was granted ownership of the island as a reward for his Civil War service.  He, and subsequently his family members used their island paradise as a summer camp. 

<History lovers might enjoy the following (somewhat lengthy but personal and nostalgic) description of Everson Island back in the early 1900's.>
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/greenharborimages/id10.html


Everson Island - Stage Two
It was late morning in July when I decided to paint this pretty scene that I admire so often.  Although the scene looks serene and picturesque, in reality there were commercial trucks and tow boat trailers rumbling by almost constantly.   Maybe out on the island there was a degree of quiet and solitude?    I stood on the river side of the guardrail and it took some unorthodox adjusting of the gear to get set up to paint.  


Everson Island - Stage Three
I sight sized the scene standing quite close to the canvas.   (I didn't have much room to step back.)  The summery sky was bright with high clouds, and that meant that the water was not reflecting clear blue, but a grayed down indigo.   The river water just below where I stood was quite green, probably from the sandy bottom.

I'll still probably make some adjustments to this one, but I like that it captures the color of the sky and water.   I'll probably tone down the island grasses as they look too light.     Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?



 
 



No comments: