Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Boston Harborwalk at JFK Library

The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Library on Columbia Point in Boston was my destination on this hot summer day.  I almost didn't stay because it seemed too hot and sunny at the sun-scorched concrete frontage.     However, below and to the rear of the of JFK Library complex was a nice stretch of the Boston Harborwalk.   There were 42 four inch steps between me and the harborwalk, minor but not insurmountable given the amount of gear I in tow.  (I had my large traveling plein air bag on wheels.)  Once I arrived at the bottom of the steps along the breezy (and shaded) water's edge, it was very pleasant and well worth the extra effort.

Boston Harborwalk at JFK Library - Stage One
I decided to face east looking out straight out over the water.  The land masses on the horizon line were really three separate land masses that only looked like a continuous island.   The grassier section of land on the left was Spectacle Island;  the darker mass in the middle with thick tree cover was Thompson's Island; the rightmost landmass was Squantum, a section of Quincy, MA.  The thick humid atmosphere muted the blues of the sky and the distant shoreline.   The summer sun lightened up the greens in the water around the pier.   The center of interest became the central group of pilings, bound with rusty red metal bands.   I played up the red for extra punch.

Boston Harborwalk at JFK Library - Stage Two

 I met some nice people who worked at UMass Boston and were taking a walk during their lunch break.   One of the gentlemen knew a former colleague of mine - going back twenty years now.   Yes, it's a small world.... but a painting in progress unites people.
Harborwalk at JFK Library

No comments: