Saturday, November 5, 2011

One Painting Day in November

 Jones River Kingston

I discovered a beautiful painting location today in Kingston at the Jones River.   This picture shows the gorgeous spot I spent the morning.  I arrived at 8:00 and set up facing south to take advantage of the morning sun on the South Duxbury shore that could be seen in the distance.   

My first painting was to feature old sailboat which you can see in the middle of this photo.  It was the focal point, with the embankment on the right as a counterbalance.    The temperature was about 45 at first, warming to around 60 by 1:00.   It felt like a real treat to enjoy a November morning capturing the shimmery light.   Analyzing the color in the shoreline, I saw reddish, greenish gold, gradually changing to pinkish, blueish green from left to right, as that was a receding shoreline.   The right riverbank was entirely in shadow at first.   Once the sun started rising, there were stripes of light cast on the grasses which was when I intended to "snap" the light as my finished light on that side.  However, as you can see, I fell into the trap of continuing to repaint and lighten the right side grasses as the sun came up.   I don't like how this ended up so light and will go back and darken the right riverbank, restoring it to shadow.   The water still needs work.   The rapid current made for interesting shades of lighter and darker areas of ultramarine.   I will be using my photo as the definitive pattern, once I finish it up in the studio.  What a treat this morning was!

For my second painting, I turned to the east.   By now the sun was more to the south, which was my right. I saw a little blue sunsplashed sailboat that looked just stunning against the dark shadows on the far shore.


In a long painting session like today, the first painting really feels like the warm up.   I think it has to to with already having brushes commited to light and dark, a variety of local colors mixed and ready to go, and that a personal painting rhythm established.   This painting took very little time.   The reflections of the shaded trees in the background looked violet in the river.   A strip of river mud, revealed itself on my side of the river which was reflecting the deep blue November sky overhead. I really like this composition.   In the studio, my plan is to fix the blue reflections in the mud and gradually darken the downriver and underside of the boat, as it was further away from the light.





There are several compositions just waiting to be painted at this spot on future dates....really nice light, and so convenient.  I shall return!


After dropping off wet paintings at the house, I set up again...a location shift...

Atlantic Ave Rexhame

In the afternoon, I painted at the end of Atlantic Ave in the Rexhame section of Marshfield.   The ocean is always a challenge.   Since the Nor'easter last weekend, the surf has been pretty high.   I estimate that the waves are about eight feet.   Large swells with uniform patterns may seem easier to paint than choppiness.  However, I find that trying to capture the uniformity makes the painting look too stiff and contrived.   I must paint what I see, so I dive in.  The colors are fascinating.  It is about 2:20 and the horizon line looks purplish, and the mid-distance somewhat pink which obviously is a reflection of the colors in the sky.  The large waves are so greenish before they break... I think that I let green take over and believe this first painting overall looks way too greenish.


I turned the easel 45 degrees to the south and painted the following...

I like the values in this one as well as the portrait aspect for the vertical flag.   I'm thinking the flagpole is too close to the center...comments??

I saw some beautiful vistas today.   I felt lucky to be able to enjoy and I think that November with its deep blue sky and long golden shadows may be my favorite.  

I got to paint all day...what a gift.

No comments: