Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pumpkin Hugs, Mill Spool Kisses

Pumpkin Hugs, Mill Spool Kisses - Study
The Winsmith Mill in Norwood, MA is a fairly new location for the Norwood Art Association.   The grand old mill buildings house many antique shops on the first and second floors.   On the third floor is a spacious gallery area fully populated with the artwork of the anchor artists and guest artists.  The Norwood Fine Arts Gallery team has done a fantastic job transforming the space and generously provide space at the venue in advancement of the fine arts.   If you are in the Norwood area, plug 61 Endicott Street, Norwood, MA into your GPS and follow the directions to this expansive space with lots to explore.

Pumpkin Hugs, Mill Spool Kisses Final
As a guest artist for the month of November, I spent the day at the gallery last weekend and worked on the still life in this post.  It occurred to me that the shapes were X's and O's, thus the title (too corny?).   A medium sized pumpkin with a nice, long curled stem was the starring element, and a chunky, blue-gray vase that I purchased at the mill was the co-star.   I had brought several mill spools too, some of my favorite rustic props, and certainly suitable for a mill painting.   The backdrop for the set up was a corner with aged brick and original foggy, opaque windows.

I ran out of time before I could put on the finishing touches, but I did get a a reference photo to use for the last five percent.

No comments: