Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Duck House with Pigeons

This painting was started on a perfect 75 degree August day last year in Boston.  I just came across it during my studio clean up.   It was so close to being done that I set about adding the final touches.

Beautiful Boston Public Garden (BPG) is a popular spot for locals and tourists.  People stroll about, some enjoying the swan boats that slowly paddle around the pond.  One look at the green scene and I reached for a linen panel undertoned with burnt sienna.   I knew this reddish base coat would help relieve the myriad of greens.  It also allowed me to skip painting the brick buildings in the background altogether - at least for the paint-out portion.

Duck House with Pigeon - BPG
Duck House with Pigeons
The pond was essentially green, not because of dirty water, but because it was reflecting the green willows and beeches on the far side.   Out in the middle of the pond was a duck house, my center of interest.   Apparently nobody had told the pigeons that this was a duck house because there were dozens of pigeons sunning themselves on its pale gray roof.   This is a city after all!

So please excuse the insertion of a painting from August while in the middle of February!


No comments: