Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cranberry Bogs

Roughing in color on first painting
I find cranberry bogs fascinating.   At this time of year, they are especially glorious.   I spent time painting this week at the bog in Duxbury on Route 14.   Warm October days may be my favorite.
I did three paintings from the same spot, the first one facing west, second facing south and the third facing south east.   Naples yellow and cadmium red, scooped onto my palette knife and spread onto the canvas seems to achieve the most accurate depiction of the floating cranberry harvest.


Second paintinglooking south across the bog.  Wind was blowing toward me and pushing cranberries toward closer bog bank.





Third paintinglooking southeast into the sun.  Working on a bright ochre toned canvas.


I have some decent photos for reference so that I can finish these off in my studio today, since it is pouring outside.


No comments: