Monday, January 16, 2012

Grey Cloud at Second

In 2011, one of my New Year's resolutions was to buy local whenever possible.  If local sources aren't an option, at least I try to buy American.   I've found cheaper prices online and from distant catalog companies, but I've convinced myself that in the long run, I'm contributing to a healthier economy, including my own personal economy by supporting my local or American businesses.  This includes being steady customers at the Farmers' Market, the locally owned gas station down the street and our nearby general stores in 2011 and will continue in 2012.   I'm really not that political, but I feel strongly about supporting our own people.

This extends to art supplies too.  I've started to obtain frames from the Frame Center in Hanover rather than the big chains or online suppliers.  Now that I am consuming a lot more oil painting supplies these days,  I have also become a loyal customer of Gamblin Oil Colors which are developed and manufactured in the US, specifically Portland, Oregon.   I really love the texture, strength and quality of these paints.  Waiting for their sales makes the prices more competitive.

Buy American and you experience the spirit of American innovation which is alive and well at Gamblin.  Their website has information about color, mediums and evolving green products. They have a complete description of various whites and blacks, and the properties of each. 

Also on their website, look for the "Torrit Grey" link.  There is an interesting description of artist and company founder Robert Gamblin's philosophies on many things, one of which is minimizing waste.  Mr. Gamblin's legacy of being thoughtful about the environment has led to the development of "Torrit Grey,"  the color that results when all of the factory pigment dust is collected and bound to a medium.  The rest of the story can be found at the following link:

http://www.gamblincolors.com/torrit.grey/index.html

Is this post really leading to something related to Vezina Art?  Well yes.   Gamblin Oil Colors Company runs an annual Torrit Grey competition.  In 2011 I entered it with the painting to the left.   Submissions were limited to white, black and torrit grey.  The idea for Grey Cloud at Second was fine-tuned thanks to a Summer discussion with my son and two of his friends all of whom are twenty-two years old, and hardcore sports fans.  I was excited that they got interested in helping me decide on this action frame of a speedy Jacoby Ellsbury sliding into second.  I was assured by these college seniors that if I was to make a "to-scale" version of this painting, there would be strong public demand for such a wall decoration for guys like them.

No, it was no winner, but Gamblin has posted all the fascinating submissions at the following link:

http://gamblincolors.com/contest-2011/gallery.php

One last note, and I have no affiliation with Gamblin, but they sent me 3 tubes of their new "Fastmatte" oil color as a thank you for participating in the Torrit Grey contest.   I have already tried the ultramarine Fastmatte, and true to their claims, it dries overnight with no shine.  Great for pushing a dark background further back.

No comments: