Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Motif #1 South

Motif # 1- South in Progress
An informal trademark of Rockport on the North Shore of Massachusetts is a dark red shack on the Bearskin Neck wharf.  It is often referred to as Motif No. 1 and is recognized even in far-away places.   Sixty miles or so to the south in Kingston, Massachusetts, is another gorgeous scene, which I'm calling "Motif #1 - South."   On this perfect May day, I enjoyed the scene while painting this 12 x 16 oil on linen.   The underpainting was done weeks ago with cadmium red, which was a good complement for emerging Spring greens.


Motif #1 - South
The brown clapboard house(?) sits prominently on a large stone pier.   Large old cedars with nice, dark, contrast were to the left.   The shoreline of South Duxbury location of the Miles Standish monument is shown in the distance.

When it was time to cover the mid-distant sand, I realized that I had neither tubes of white, nor my sand favorite, titanium buff.  I've got to restock my plein air bag!   I finished this sandy portion back in the studio.

No comments: