Thursday, May 22, 2014

Warm, Windy, Weather Whipping Weeping Willows


The weather forecasted a high temperature of seventy degrees for the day....wow, a treat after the horrible winter.   In the studio I lined up some piles of pinks on my palette (for a change) and I set out to find Spring.  I was thinking that by this time, early April, that the Boston Public Garden would have its usual showy display of flowering bulbs.    I found a metered parking spot, parted with ten quarters, and timed my return - two hours.   I saw right away that there were no bulbs blooming yet.   The most vivid color was the clothing of the throngs of people who were strolling along the paths.   Ah yes, people sprouting up all over!


Boston Public Garden Early Spring
I even spotted another painter with his large Gloucester easel (with large canvas) set up at a spot near the iconic swan boat footbridge.   I hope to see the finished product somehow, as it was structurally amazingly, and captured the soft pinkish greens of Spring.

I moved on down to an open spot where I could still see the iconic footbridge over the duck pond from a greater distance.   An old weeping willow formed a strong sixty degree angle on the embankment.   Willows are among the first trees to sprout leaves and the last to shed them.   The fresh bright green sprouts were practically blowing sideways.   At times strong wind gusts made me pause just hold on to the easel and palette.  Happy Spring!


No comments: