Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Out of the Box 2014

Out of the Box Entry 2014
It was the beginning of June and I had just finished my North River Arts Society "Out of the Box" (OTB) entry for 2014.  Of course, you aren't reading this until August or September because the artwork had to be submitted anonymously, and I could not post this blog until the event bidding was complete.

For those not familiar with this bi-annual event, (which happens to be one of my favorites), participants received a uniquely numbered panel that measured 8" x 8".  The challenge was to create a work of art in any media, preferably a creation that isn't typical for the artist.   The artworks were put on display at NRAS at the OTB party and a silent auction sheet accompanied each 8x8 inch square.   It was fun to try to guess which artist produced which piece. Even though the media or subject may be intentionally atypical, painters tend to have a signature style that is all their own, (whether they admit/realize it or not.)

Did I really shake it up and get "outside the box?"  Not really.   The difference was that it was an outdoor floral still life, not my usual genre.  Oh, but it was oil, so no anonymity there.

The subject was my neighbor Rita's purple iris.   At the time I painting this, it was the tallest element in her side garden which borders my garden.   It kept catching my eye in the midday sun.   The petals that were lit by the sun had a pinkish yellow tinge, but the petals that were shaded by other petals were pretty shades of bluish purple.   The bud for the next blossom sat just the full bloom on the same thick stem, ready to take its turn.

I don't know who won the bidding, but I'm told that it was bid upon, and thus it has a new owner.   As many an OTB painter knows, it's a relief to see that your entry has at least one bid!  Haha.

No comments: