Saturday, November 7, 2015

Boston Skyline from Adams Shores

Underpainting
It was mid-September and we were enjoying wonderfully mild weather - great for painting out.   The Quincy Arts Festival brought me to the area so I sought out a new location to paint while I visited.   Merrymount is a small section of Quincy located on the southern end of Wollaston Beach.   It took a little searching for a water view that was not blocked by a residence.   Several Boston Harbor Islands were visible to my right from this location.   Check out this video that pans the location where I set up.  https://youtu.be/JHEUJSNiqCA

Boston Skyline from Adams Shores - In Progress
From this shoreline, there was a distant but clear view of the Boston skyline, the colorful Boston Gas Tank and Marina Bay.   The water was so calm that the tallest Boston skyscrapers were actually reflected in the water, a fairly unusual sight with ocean water.   I used my palette knife almost exclusively as I needed to apply paint thickly enough to cover the previous painting underneath (the bad pink roses above).

Boston Skyline from Adams Shores

A wonderful bonus was that I met some new friends who actually knew some of my cousins, both on my mother's side (Virginia and Jack) and my father's side (Pat and Eamon) of the family.  I will certainly be returning to this gorgeous and painter friendly spot in the future.




No comments: