Monday, August 15, 2016

Finishing Up June's Blooms - aka "The Potting Bench"

Stage One - Underpainting
Stage Two
My love of gardening is second only to painting although painting claims most of my time. Combining the two seemed logical as I set up this still life of a potting bench.   Last month I shared the foundation stages of this large still life painting (22"x 28") and work on it continued.

A long critical look at the version shown (Stage Two) and decided to make a few changes.  The circular armature was working but I thought it would be better to reinforce this flow with the addition of well-worn gardening gloves and my pruning sheers.    Where should the gloves be placed?  How should the sheers be angled.    Finding an acceptable arrangement took some playing around.   Then the question became, what would the hierarchy of the elements be?   Depicting everything with equal attention and importance weakens the painting as a whole.    The circular flow I was trying to achieve could be undermined by an ambiguous hierarchy.   In the end, I decided on the following order of importance:
The Potting Bench
  1. roses   (lightest lights and most intense color)
  2. pruning sheers  (sharp lines, and some vibrant color, but in a middle value)
  3. gardening gloves (human hand shape - naturally gains attention)
  4. jute (falls on the path of the counterclockwise circular armature)
  5. watering can (sits back, very little light, blends in with background, hints of highlights)
  6. clay saucers (muted and dark)
  7. under-the-bench clay pots  (dark and not part of the armature, ie the last thing to get noticed)
This painting will be my submission to this year's Boston Guild of Artists Juried Competition.  I also changed the name to "The Potting Bench."    I'll let you know if it gets in!


No comments: