Sunday, December 18, 2016

Kale and Peonies

Kale and Peonies Left
Kale and Peonies Right
You know I love flowers and I enjoy painting flowers, yet only occasionally do my flower paintings turn out favorably - at least in my opinion.   I noticed this new opportunity to paint with local artist Jenny Kelley at a one day workshop.  

Jenny also shows her work at the Copley Society in Boston, and the objective of the workshop was to practice flowers.    Jenny had brought along a variety of blossoms and vessels which were used to make several set ups for painters.  She demonstrated her stunning painted flowers and painting technique with some beautiful pink peonies.   Jenny also demonstrated her natural flair for teaching and engaging students. The whole day was thoroughly enjoyable!   It was fascinating to watch paintings being developed by others, their compositions, color choices, and scaling.  A personal and unique work of art emerged. all different, like a signature.   It was such a nice group conversing about many interesting topics, painting and beyond.   This was a truly multi-talented bunch including painters, a cartoonist and writers.   I appreciated observing their work and technique as well as getting their feedback on mine.

Peony Pair
I worked on a square format to capture some pink peonies and kale blossom.   The kale was not something I would ever have picked on my own - that is why stepping out to try new things is so inspiring.  The kale actually became my favorite element as it turned out.   I liked the gray green feel which complemented the pink of the blossoms.  I turned the vase in another direction and painted a second 8x8 square.   Below is the pair shown side by side.



No comments: