Saturday, November 18, 2017

Powder Point Bridge from Duxbury Beach

Duxbury Crossover East Facing


It was a beautiful November day, mostly sunny, although a little brisk.   I drove across the Powder Point Bridge in Duxbury to the (now open) restricted parking area next to the Harbormaster station.    I was still deciding if I was going to paint or just take pictures as I walked up the beach path, (a.k.a. crossover) and stopped to observe a fantastic 360 degree view. 

Duxbury Crossover North Facing


The ocean with big rolling breakers was to the east; the barrier beach penninsula was the scene to the south; Duxbury Bay and bridge were viewable to the west; and the continuation of the barrier beach leading to Marshfield was to the north. 



Duxbury Crossover Southeast Facing

I was snapping pictures so I am sharing a few here. 








Power Point Bridge Long View - Final
I walked back to my van and changed into my long winter down coat.  Now really, why wouldn't I paint?   I decided to aim for a color study of the bridge with golden seagrasses in the foreground.   I used only one palette knife for the whole painting.   Super thick paint meant rich color and bright light, in addition to very easy clean up.   As for the color matching, you'll notice that the light source was to the right (southeast) so the sky and water is brightest there.   There is a  gradual and natural darkening of the sky and water one the right with hints of bluish-purple as well.


SOLD

Set Up
Powderpoint Bridge Long View - Stage One


Powderpoint Bridge Long View - Stage Two


No comments: