Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Summer Pond Impression

Summer Pond Impression
My son lives on a gorgeous little pond in southeastern MA, made all the more pristine because motorized watercraft aren't allowed.   On this very hot day, I worked on this summer color study - just for the fun of it.   The vast patches of lilypads were covered with pretty white flowers.  I was tempted to paint them as any Monet lover would, but decided to paint a long view instead.  Just like all the color studies I've produced over the years, it turned out better than a "planned and finished" painting.  I like the choppiness of the color, giving it a painterly quality.

Much of the paint was applied with a palette knife with the color barely blended.   A closer view shows the ribbons of color in a single stroke.   The only hint of sky is in the reflections in the water just beyond the rocks.   Looking downward at the sky reflections made them appear darker and almost murky blue. 

No comments: