Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Angelic Statue

Angelic Statue
Cherubs and angels are plentiful in fine art, especially in the Rennaisance era and they always attract my attention.   I remember on one visit to the Boston Museum of Fine Art, I took pictures of as many angels and cherubs (both obvious and obscure) within many paintings that I could find    They were more common than you would imagine.  In addition to 2D paintings, they are often depicted in sculpture, an ethereal addition to gardens and arbors.   My inspiration for this painting began with a photo of a beautiful angel statue in a Florida butterfly garden.

I've been particularly moved recently by the sacrifices made by the many medical professionals who are treating victims of the current pandemic.   Nurses in particular play a special role in healing patients, a role that has always had my greatest admiration.  

I dedicate this painting to the many nurses - pillars of healing - who despite fires all around, remain calm, tend to every basic need, and even convince their patient without a hint of visible doubt that they would be okay.

No comments: