Friday, September 7, 2012

House Portrait

Last fall, friends from my neighborhood asked me to do a painting of their beach house.   We agreed that summer would be a good time to capture it.   The flower boxes would be fully blooming, the striped window and deck awnings would be open and the hydrangeas would be peaking.   The time was right so I set about capturing a few images of their home a couple of weeks ago.   The modest house sits on a corner lot close by where I live.    


House with Striped Awnings
I toned a 9 x 12 canvas and sketched in the darks, the shadows of the eaves, the windows and doors. My plan was to get a correct architectural likeness from the photo and then set up on site to capture color and light.  The house has striped awnings on the west facing windows and deck.    I painted the window awnings open, but the deck awning is so big that I decided to paint it in the closed position. 


It was difficult to decide what surrounding details to include.   Since the neighborhood is thickly settled, it would not make sense to omit adjacent homes.   I decide to include the home to the right and left, as well as the telephone pole, but to deemphasize them by softening their edges.      Here is the final stage painting.





No comments: