Friday, October 26, 2012

Autumn Color at Veterans Memorial Park

Veterans Park Stage One
It was a serene Sunday morning at Veterans Memorial Park in Marshfield and the foliage was peaking.   Add to that a crystal clear stream reflecting all the color, and you have my idea of a perfect crisp autumn day.    This little park was deceiving in size and scope from the street. Veterans did a wonderful job tending it and commemorating local heroes. 






Veterans Park Stage Two
There were winding pathways that offered several options of where to set up to paint.   I chose a spot that had a view up the stream with bright foliage accented by dark,wet riverbanks on either side.  This was in fact, such a pretty spot that when two different photographers arrived for their respective family photo shoots, I correctly predicted that I was going to have to share this ideal location - at least temporarily.






Veterans Park Stage Three
 I painted in the furthest riverbank which was a dark brown oxide toned down with some cobalt blue to account for distance.   I built up the tree color from the riverbank up.  With each application of tree color, I would apply the same color just below the shore line mirroring the color above.   After I had blocked in the leaf color above and put matching color in the water, I used my pastry brush to drawn down the color into the water creating the watery reflections. 





Veterans Park Stage Four
 Next, I worked on the outcropping of bluish gray rocks on the left and decided which of the many pale gray tree branches and trunks I would include - not many.   Finally I put in the bright red sumac shrub that was at the far riverbank and its reflection.  As always, I'll fine tune in the studio, but here is the unpolished plein air version.

No comments: