Monday, November 19, 2012

Audubon Pond

Audubon Blind Shelter Set Up
It was a cold windy November day and I had my equipment box on wheels loaded up for a trek further into the Daniel Webster Audubon trails.   There is a watering hole a mere quartermile from the parking lot which usually hosts a variety of wildlife.    There are two blind shelter enclosures, one on either side of the pond and I decided to paint from inside one of them and have it serve as my wind shield.


Audubon Dead Log Stage 1
The Audubon is a nature lover's paradise and I had my choice of subjects for my painting - ducks, geese, birds, turtles or hawks.   While I mulled over which wildlife to include, I began with an immobile subject, a sunbleached log that was angled up out of the water.   The scene was light and bright with the darkest area being the log's reflection.    The colorful ripples of the many different grasses and water plants only multiplied this October's show.




Audubon Dead Log Stage 2
The openings in the enclosure reminded me of readymade viewfinders.   I maneuvered my easel around until I had a spot from which I could sight-size my subject.   It's not evident by the photos but the paint is applied very thickly with my palette knife - almost having the look of icing.






The grasses emerge from the pond in reddish sheaths turning lighter and greener as they go up.   Pairs of ducks seemed to be the most prevalent resident on this day so I added a pair knifing up and away from the log, their wake forming the familiar "v".

Audubon Pond

No comments: