Friday, November 9, 2012

Christian Science Reflecting Pool Boston

Initial Drawing Christian Science Reflecting Pool Boston
I had a lunch date with my sister who works in the Back Bay of Boston.  I packed my painting gear so that I would could set up somewhere and get a cityscape painting done before our lunch.   I knew that I would have a maximum of two hours to paint, the limit on my parking meter.

I found a metered parking spot on the street across from the Christian Science Center and Reflecting Pool.   It was a damp, overcast day with a raw biting wind, especially on the trek across Huntington Ave with all my equipment and along the length of the pool to what I hoped would be a sheltered spot.   The view I wanted to paint was northeast toward the Prudential Center and Tower.




Christian Science Reflecting Pool - Block In
Sure enough, along the edge of the Christian Science reflecting pool there were some alcoves which effectively blocked the cold wind that was sweeping through the surrounding skyscrapers.   I set up and got started on this intensive exercise in perspective. 

Although the three sided alcove was good for shelter and privacy, it did not provide enough light on my canvas.   To compensate, each time I mixed color, I held it out to the light to compare with my target scene.    You can tell from this painting that the light was insufficient when looking in the direction of the pool.


Boston Christian Science Reflecting Pool
I liked the muted reflections in the pool, and beyond the pool, under the line of trees in the distance were colorful pushcarts and kiosks.  The photo doesn't clearly show them, but my plan was to accentuate this color and draw it down into the pool as well. 

The two hours passed quickly and when more people started walking by I new that it must be getting close to lunchtime.   I took some additional pictures for reference since I knew I would need to work more on this painting in the studio.

As you can tell from the final painting, I decided to jazz up the sky and water by separating my gray into its pieces (pink and cobalt).  I dabbed in figures walking along the left side as well as the kiosks on the far side of the pool.   This is a very scenic spot and not an easy plein air subject, and for me, finishing in the studio was essential.




No comments: