Sunday, March 3, 2013

At the Dock in Hyannis

Photo of Painting Location - Hyannis Dock
I was driving to Cape Cod to deliver paintings so I took the opportunity to find a nice spot and do a painting "en plein air."   Was it a sparkling, picturesque, postcard type day?   Not at all.  It was late February, gray, and overcast.    I headed to the water in Hyannis and turned into the Fast Ferry Terminal parking lot.  It was deserted except for the off-season skeletal crew who pointed out a spot where I could set up. 


Waiting for the Ferry at Hyannis - Stage 1


The location was at the dock railing overlooking the ferry lane.    I stood between two rows of luggage carts, which served nicely as wind blockers, although it was fairly calm.  As I was first setting up, the ferry arrived.   It was so large with respect to the small inlet that it essentially filled up the entire middle area of my scene. I decided that I would include the ferry in my painting.  Until another one came I would begin working on the static elements which included the multiple shorelines to the left and right of the ferry lane at their different distances including a beautiful little lighthouse. 

I sight sized the scene onto a 9x12 inch panel. It consisted of tan-gray shrubbery, winter-bare blue- gray trees and yellow gray sand.  The pigments for the thick blue clouds and the water were grayish blends of yellow, pink, eggshell and lavender.   I felt like I was honoring the day, as gray as it was.       I love the gray days for painting!

Waiting for the Ferry at Hyannis - Stage 2
When it began to rain lightly, I moved under the ticket counter overhang until it stopped.  I wasn't able to paint in a ferry as I had planned because unfortunately there were no more ferry arrivals or departures - at least up until the point I had to leave.   What a different painting it would be to have added a ferry.   Instead this is a serene understated winter scene - still nice I think.   I am reminded by this experience that I am not able to paint from memory very well.  That would be a good thing to practice.

No comments: