Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Irish Step Dancers

Irish Step Duo Underpainting
Although I never took Irish step dancing as a child, I was always an Irish Step Dancer wannabe.  In fact, if I'm at a wedding or party and I hear upbeat Irish Jig music, I'm the first one up looking for anyone else who is willing to pretend they know how to do a jig or a reel with me.  


Photoshopped Layout Mounted on Black Paper
As for those who really know Irish Step, I admire their amazing, intricate footwork.   Like accomplished athletes, they seem to defy gravity.   The dancers keep their trunks vertical and rigid, and unless they are spinning, their colorful and heavily ornamented dresses seem to barely move.  In contrast, their feet and curly locks are a blur.


Sketch of Light Pattern



This painting features two young Irish Step Dancers.    I began with a photo of one girl which I pulled into Photoshop.   I created a second dancer by flipping the original photo horizontally and downsizing it.   I then printed the two images and mounted them on a piece of black paper positioning the dancers such that they overlapped one another looking as if they were right in synch.    I then did a 5x7 value study sketch to confirm the light pattern (since the light of the reversed image would be incorrect as a reference).

Irish Step Duo - Stage 1




After establishing the background, I thought it was too boring and unrealistic.   Occasions that would warrant the pageantry of these dresses are shows and competitions that would include people, color and lights.   I didn't want to detract from the girls as the center of interest by including the audience, but decided to include just the essence of some spotlights.


Irish Step Duo - Stage 2
This painting experience was an exercise in painting design which was a lot of fun.  The only static element was the initial photo.   Everything else after that was designed, specifically, the second dancer (sized and reversed), the figure placements, the value pattern, the dress colors, the Celtic patterns and  the spotlights.


The painting is almost complete.  The one thing that I still may address is the pattern of shadows on the floor.   Since all the feet are off the floor, the shadows will be softer and scattered away from the feet.   I welcome suggestions.




Irish Stepdancers Stage 3 - Nearly Complete



No comments: