Monday, April 22, 2013

CVS Parking Lot

PLNAIR Set Up
There is never a need to drive around looking for that perfect scenic vista.  ( Truth be told, we did drive the long way around looking for a magnolia in bloom and didn't see one.)    Our destination became the CVS Pharmacy in town which has a parking lot that abuts the South River and Dandelion Park in Marshfield.

I was attracted to the row of purple azaleas along the edge of the parking lot.   I took liberties with the painting's design transforming the blacktopped parking lot into a field of spring green in my painting.  The cloudless cobalt sky bathed the greenery and shed roof with a cool reflective blue.   The shadows and mulched areas were rich warm reds and brown oxide.


Azalea Trio Parking Lot View

The three azaleas were the stars of the scene.    I had used my palette knife for about ninety percent of the painting.  I mixed up the warm purple for the blooms in shadow, and a bright, cool pink for the blooms in sunlight.   The paint for the azaleas is the thickest, lightest and most intensely in colored, since they are the center of interest.






Azalea Trio and Shed
Back in the studio, I contemplated the result from the day before.  The thick, juicy impasto paint would be very easy to wreck so I tried to stay disciplined   I fixed a couple of things (the tree shadows, their surrounding grass, and the shadow side of shed.  Below is the finished (?) painting.


No comments: