Thursday, April 25, 2013

Portrait: Light Hair and Complexion


Olivia
Olivia Stage One

My academic realism portrait class has been challenging my painting vision, skills, technique and most of all, my patience.    The model at class was stunningly beautiful, which added more pressure.   I almost felt like apologizing in advance for the rendition that I felt would surely not measure up to her gorgeous reality.   That reality being her flawless hair, skin, and features.

I think what I found the most difficult was the fairness of our model's hair and complexion.  Contours couldn't be too dark and I worked at implying plane changes with temperature rather than drastic value changes.  The model's skin was so fair that her skin seemed translucsent.  I used Flake White Replacement, a transparent white by Gamblin to build up a glowing pinkish white for her skin in the bright light.    I amended my classwork using a photo after the actual live class session.   I corrected several edges especially in the jaw area and got to a better likeness.


No comments: