Friday, July 26, 2013

Nantucket Sound Vista from Centerville

Gazebo Overlooking Centerville Beach - Stage One
I had never seen the Centerville beaches until the day of this paint-out even though I've been visiting Cape Cod my whole life.   Centerville is just to the west of Hyannis so the trip did not take very long travelling down Route 3, over the Sagamore Bridge and along Route 6 to Exit 5.   I was meeting a group of plein air painters from Craigville, a small community that overlooks the beaches.

The meeting spot was the gazebo at the top of "the forty steps."    It had plenty of parking, shady trees and a beautiful view of the ocean.   The heat was still turned all the way up even though Cape Cod is known for being generally cooler in summer than "mainland" Massachusetts.   The winds were brisk but hot at the gazebo, forty steps above sea level.

Gazebo Overlooking Centerville Beaches
In the first photo, the scene and my painting are shown. In the top left corner is a large branch, part of the tree on the left that crossed through my viewfinder.    I included it thinking that it would offer a foreground element that framed the painting.    When I asked the group for their opinions, the consensus was the branch was confusing and detracted from the painting.    I was thankful for the insight because once I removed it, the scene seemed to become lighter and airier, like the day itself.   The sky was a pale blue (cerulean) with some hazy, pinkish clouds (yellow ochre, cad red) that are present on humid summer days like these
.  Although the figure is not prominent in the painting, she is sitting in the gazebo doing a watercolor painting if you look closely.

No comments: