Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rock Formations Beautiful Vieques

I painted with watercolor while on vacation in beautiful Vieques, Puerto Rico this past Spring.  This week I finally made time to revisit their beautiful, tropical beaches with the dazzling turquoise water in my favorite medium - oil.   


Vieques - Media Luna (Half Moon)
With the watercolors and painting plein air, I never did feel like I quite matched the ocean's tropical green.   With oil, that's a different story.   I used Emerald Green, Gamblin's "Cote d'Azur and some cerulean blue with titanium white in varying amounts to make what I thought was a good match for that fabulous tropical water's colors.   The rocks had a mid value pinkish purple color.   I used my tropical sea water with alizarin to get the local color of the rocks.   In the deepest shadows I used Prussian Blue (very similar to Pthalo Blue).
 
The sand was primarily buff titanium with some swirls of my existing palette colors for interest.  I like how bright it looks - certainly not the blinding light of standing there, but relative brightness feels similar.   I'd like to figure out a way of having the canvas emit the associated solar heat.

No comments: