Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Busy Marina for January

First Subject Green Boat
On this grey mid-January day, it was about forty degrees and very windy.   I was dressed for ten below, so other than an issue of overly stiff paint, things were just fine.   I set up on a dock on the Brant Rock side of the Green Harbor River. I secured my field easel to a railing with a bungy cord and positioned it facing north.

Second Subject Red Boat
I was surprised at how much activity there was.   Some of the larger lobster boats were going to dry dock.  I'm surprised that these guys work all the way into January.   They must be finally conceding though, that the harsh New England winter is here.

I started painting a long green lobster boat (See first photo above), but roughly fifteen minutes into painting it, I realized it was about to get towed out of the water.  Next?  I turned a bit to the right. There was a bright red lobster boat (The Emily Rose) docked right next the parking lot.  The owner was taking advantage of high tide and unloading traps and stacking them directly onto the edge of the dock.  He finished in about twenty minutes, then drove the boat to its mooring, so - no more bright red lobster boat.

Meanwhile, I had been busy repainting the background to cover the green boat.  No red boat. Now what?

Turquoise Fishing Boat Named Underwing
The one remaining boat within the frame of my painting was a boat I have painted before.   It is the bright turquoise fishing boat that normally is moored in the middle of the Green Harbor River near the channel.    Thankfully it remained stationary, although further away in the distance than I would have liked.  It stayed for the rest of the paint out, and therefore comes out the winner as today's center of interest.

No comments: