Friday, January 31, 2014

Palette Box

Rectangular Wooden Palette
Palette Box with Foam Core Lid Closed
I use the same rectangular wooden palette for painting both in my studio and outside.    I prefer this arrangement because it eliminates the time and expense of loading and maintaining two palettes.  Since I mostly paint everyday, the fully loaded palette sits on my studio sidetable ready for use.   I don't cover my palette in the studio but I always wipe my mixing area clean at the end of the day.   The piles of paint may develop skins over them, but I simply cut into the pile of paint with my palette knife and draw out what I need from the smooth wet paint underneath.    Every couple of weeks I completely scrape off old paint on the palette and start with fresh new piles. 



For taking the paints outside or into the car, I use a palette box that has been retrofitted with a foam core lid.   The cover is lightweight, opens like a cigar box lid, and is just sturdy enough to protect the palette full of paint inside.




Foam Core Lid Open
Velcro strips that secure palette to palette box
On both the bottom of the palette and the palette box, Velcro strips hold the palette in place within the box.   Even if the box were to tip on its side or even upside down, the palette of paint would stay stuck within the box.


I also have some Velcro strips on the outside of the palette box to secure in on top of my art supply box on wheels if I have to walk a greater distance than usual.

I know there are fancier systems, but this is what I do.





No comments: