Saturday, January 11, 2014

Ailbhe Profile in Charcoal

Ailbhe in Profile
Model Ailbhe is shown in this drawing in profile.  The light source was directly in front of her, shining straight toward her face.  I used a soft vine charcoal on Strathmore 500 charcoal paper.

After sketching in the overall head and neck, I probably spent an equal amount of time remeasuring and lifting out charcoal with an eraser.   After I finished my major first pass, I colored in the background placing darker values behind the lighter highlights on her head, and lightening the background behind her shadow side.     The squiggles in the background were done with my eraser; I thought it would be a bit more interesting and echo the wave in her hair as well.

I'm debating on whether to add clothing, maybe a scoop neck or a necklace because I'm not all that happy with the neck and shoulders.  I really enjoy translating people from their 3D selves to the 2D surface.  And she is a great model; she never moves a muscle.  :)


No comments: