Sunday, February 2, 2014

Snowy Gazebo

Snowy Gazebo
With two fresh inches of snow, the scenery looks as you would expect for the end of January in New England.  Along the main route in Marshfield, there is a small gazebo just down a sloping boardwalk path from the Veterans' Memorial parking lot.   It wasn't plowed so I drove over a small snow pile to get just far enough into the lot to unload my gear.   It was mostly shady, but there were slivers of sunlight illuminating the left side of the gazebo and that was what caught my eye.   My substrate was a 12 x 16" Centurion Linen Panel which I had toned with pale blue.


Snowy Gazebo
My "snow in shadow" color was ultramarine blue, asphaltum and titanium white.  My sunlit snow was titanium with minute streaks of naples yellow, cadmium red light and cerulean blue.    The underbrush and woods beyond the gazebo looked bluish brown with some reddish accents(ultramarine, raw sienna, burnt sienna.   Some of the underbrush to the right was sunlit and appeared quite gold.

I loved the result of the subdued winter palette.   In the bright cool winter light of outdoors, all the subtle colors were plainly visible and you might even say vivid.   My feet were freezing so I finished up and packed up, all the while thinking of a nice hot coffee.

Back in the dimmer light of the studio, I was not so enthralled with the "subtle" color.  What color, in fact?   I still liked the freshness of the painting and the fact that not everything was spelled out.   I added some colorful accents with the same colors I had used outside, but stronger, so as to account for indoor light.   Maybe I'll add even more color, but for now, here it is.

No comments: