Saturday, January 3, 2015

Gray Marina

Silvery Dock
It was December, two days before Winter Solstice and the gray, misty look of the beach got me thinking it would be a good day to paint at the marina.   Strangely, there was barely a wisp of wind for such a cloudy day.  There were even mirror-like reflections on the silvery surface unlike the usual ocean chop.   At the town pier, the usual dock bustle of the warmer months was gone. Most of the moorings were empty and only a few fishing boats remained. 
Things don't always flow while painting, especially when painting outside; this was one of those days.   It seemed like I was struggling at every stage from set-up (my palette scraped against the pier railing leaving a pile of purple paint that I had to scrape off) to mixing colors (stiff paint and everything looked too green) to packing up (a wingnut on my field easel wouldn't loosen with cold fingers).   I should have settled for a color study, but I continued to torture myself by trying to salvage the session and come out with a whole painting.  
The cloud shielded Sun is featured in the painting since it was so low!   In Massachusetts, the Sun's highest angle is only 24 degrees above the horizon on December 21st, the Winter Solstice, compared to a 71 degree midday angle at Summer Solstice.    The sun doesn't get to be featured in June - unless its a sky painting!
Only 75% of this painting was done on site, but it was the most important part, which was the nice silvery light.  I finished the last 25% in the studio, specifically the foreground pilings and railings.  The houses along Beach Street along with the Beach Street bridge can be seen in the background.   Overall, I am happier with it now, and I am really loving the grey day paint outs!


No comments: