Thursday, April 25, 2019

Lilacs

Lilacs
I was pulling out my Easter/Spring decor when I found a lilac-scented candle.  After lighting it, the house was filled with its scent which was remarkably strong and authentic. It then struck me that we now have some lilac bushes at this new house/studio.     I am longing to see my very own lilacs for the first time this May - for enjoyment and of course, painting.

In preparation for the real thing, I practiced from a photo in painting this 6x6 inch mini.  I used a color mixing scheme that I learned about online in which a premixed pile of cool, light gray is used to blend with each color applied in the painting.   All colors had a bit of the gray, except for the brightest light, which I wanted to be bright and clean and warm.   I'm thinking the use of this gray harmonized the blues and purples to a softer, less intense palette.  What do you think?   Too muted?

No comments: