Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring Flower Stand

Spring Flower Stand Paint Out
There is a Lamberts Market in Pembroke that pops up starting in Spring in the north end of the Stop and Shop parking lot.   A small, yellow wooden shed functions as the check out shelter and a large pop up tent shelters the rows and rows of flower flats and hanging plants.  It always looks so attractive from the street and it occurred to me that this would be a great place to paint.

I parked a couple of rows away from the stand so that I would have a vantage that would include the shed, part of the tent, and all the flowers in between.   I used my palette knife almost exclusively again today.  I first worked on the sky which was filled with high thin milky clouds.   The trees were budding, but still had only a hint of green, except for the tall evergreens which were dark blue-green.   The foreground consisted of the pavement of the parking lot, which was pale grey in the sunlight.   I jazzed it up by scraping up all the color I had on the palette and swirled that into my pavement color.

Spring Flower Stand - Final
Finally, the real fun began with the bright, sunlit, out-of-the-tube colored flowers.   These full sunlight flowers got the most intense color.   The flowers that were shaded under the tent looked really pretty as well in person, but by squinting at them, I determined that they were very dark and much less intense.  For the painting, the same row of flowers that were bright, warm pink in the sunlight, transitioned to cool alizarin crimson under the tent.

The final touch was to add the person with watering duty who was dragging his heavy black hose through the rows of flowers as he showered all the colorful blooms.

No comments: