Thursday, July 11, 2013

Figure in the Sunshine


Figure in the Sunlight - Studio Rework from Class Study
 
 




Our Figure in the Landscape class has been as good as I had hoped it would be.   We had a beautiful model who layered on her sunblock and dutifully sat in full sun so that we could observe and record the luminescence of her skin. 









I tried to predict the trajectory of the sun so that some nice shade would overtake the spot I chose to paint from.   Temperatures were rising quickly.   Well I didn't calculate very well I and spent most of the class standing in the sun with a sunlit canvas as well.    At least I could empathize with our poor model who was also melting, fully exposed to the sun too.   Essentially I came out of the class with a study.

Negative Version of Painting

When I got it home I saw several things that I wanted to improve. 
 I also thought that by studying the composition armature, I could improve the flow.   The photos show the sequence of what I did.







Negative, Upsidedown Armature
1) Converted the painting to black and white and then changed it to its negative in Photoshop, then turned it upsidedown. (I was thinking that seeing the painting abstractly with the figure as the darkest element would help see the armature more easily).








Negative, Upsidedown Armature with Spiral  Balancing Lines
 2) The armature seems like spirals so I added extra lines to expand the abstract design with more spirals.













Back to positive image with balancing spirals

 
 
3)  Changed the black and white back to positive state.  I liked how it looked from an abstract (weighting) perspective.     No matter which way I turned the canvas, it looked equally weighted.



4) Next the challenge was to figure out how to incorporate these line elements into my representational composition.    I did it with the landscape (branches and grasses).   




Here is the finished product.   The Naples Yellow grasses were my attempt at balancing the composition and creating pseudo spirals that echo the primary armature.

Cornsilk

                                                                                  






No comments: